Tuesday, January 13, 2009

GARLIC!

First post of Y2K+9.

I was at home for the holidays and my mom pretty much dominates me in cooking so I just let her do everything. I did make mussels as an app for christmas eve, but then she showed me up with a lobster/scallop/shrimp lasagna with creamy white wine sauce. Very tasty. It was my idea. Seriously it was, lobster prices are in the tank (pun 100% intended) and you can grab them cheap these days.

This weekend I'm going to make a lobster mac and cheese, so stay tuned.

BUT that's not the point of this post. I haven't been out grocery shopping since I've been back, I just bought rye bread and milk. I was hungry and saw that I had a head of garlic in my fridge. Instantly, I thought... LUNCH!

The classic, roasted head of garlic on dill rye bread. It's almost like I'm back in the old country. Just for the record I'm not claiming that I invented this, nor am I pretending to enlighten anybody on how to make it with some special skillz. It's more to serve as a reminder incase you forgot how good roasted garlic spread on rye is.

So easy, so delicious, such wonderful breath.

Here's what you need:

1 head of garlic per person
olive oil
salt
tin foil

Here's what you do:

1) Preheat the oven to 400F
2) Peel all the outside skin off your head of garlic, but you don't have to be too meticulous.
3) Cut off about the top quarter inch or so of the head, just so you can see the inside of the garlic.
4) Drizzle some oil on it, sprinkle salt and wrap each head in some tin foil.
5) Put it in the oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on how soft and squishy you want it.

When it comes out you can literally eat it straight out with a fork or squeeze it out on to bread, or even use it as a puree for later dishes. It's the best. And dirt cheap. And healthy, from what I understand.

No comments: